Home » Care » Fire & Gas

Fire & Gas

Fire:

  • Safety is a win/win situation
  • 400000 domestic fires a year-85% of all fire deaths occur at home. ½ of those who die are 60+
  • Heat sources: cigarettes, lighters, portable heaters, radiators, electrical appliances, plugs, sunlight and glass
  • Fuel: solids: paper, fabrics
    Liquids: paint, perfume
    Gas: propane, butane
  • Fuel+oxygen+heat=fire
  • If it is a small fire use a fire extinguisher:
    red-water-carbon based materials
    cream=foam-liquids and carbon based materials
    blue-powder-electrical equipment, liquids and carbon based materials
    black-CO2-electircal equipment, liquids and gas (if no chance of explosion)
    yellow-wet chemical-cooking fat, oils and carbon
  • If it is a big fire evacuate
  • As you evacuate limit the free flow of ait to the fire, keep doors and windows shut. Stoop low (below smoke) and feel doors with the back of hand
  • Electrical faults and a major cause of fires, do regular checks for damaged, frayed cords and don’t use
  • Service electrical blankets yearly. Make sure they are switched off and unplugged when not it use and never use alongside a hot water bottle.
  • Make sure there is a free flow of air around the TV and no vase on top
  • Candles not on furniture
  • Portable heaters away from furniture and clothes
  • Unplug anything not in use, do not pull cord
  • Overloaded sockets generate more electrical current and therefore more heat
  • When a bulb blows allow ten minutes to cool down and then change it asap
  • Clues to faulty wiring include flickering lights, frequent power cuts, and frequent bulbs blowing
  • Never re enter a burning building
  • Stop, drop and roll, or use a blanket to smother
  • Check smoke alarms monthly
  • Use a deep ashtray with broad base, not on furniture and douse with water before binning
  • No matches, lighters or paper near heat
  • Don’t leave a chip pan unattended and never throw water on it, it will turn to steam, expand and explode. Turn it off and smother with a wet blanket
  • Make sure you have two exit routes
  • Make sure you know where the mains are for water, gas and electricity
  • Keep escape routes clear from clutter and keep keys easily accessible
  • Empty rubbish bins
  • To use a fire extinguisher, pull out the pin without holding the trigger aim at the base of the fire and squeeze trigger. Use a sweeping motion and be sure to keep low

Gas

  • If there is a gas leak, turn the gas off at the mains, evacuate and don’t use electrics
  • Natural gas, running cars and burning wood all produce carbon monoxide as well as water heaters, furnaces and ovens
  • Carbon monoxide is colourless and practically odourless
  • If appliances are not working properly carbon monoxide can build up in the air being exposed to this reduces oxygen in the blood. You may feel sleepy, headache, dizzy or short of breath. Ventilate the home by opening doors and windows. Turn everything off and leave.
  • Make sure heating systems are professionally inspected each year
  • Make sure the chimney is well vented
  • Do not heat the home with a clothes dryer or gas oven
  • Use exhaust fans when cooking
  • Do not leave cars running in the garage
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s