Moving and Handling:
– Avoid as much as practical
– 4 in 5 adults have back pain at some time in their lives
– A strain=stretch or tear in muscle-caused by lifting too heavy, working too hard, repetitive motionS
– A sprain=tear of ligaments at joint. Cause by trips.falls
– 10lbs extra weight on abs=100lbs extra pressure on spine
– NEVER TWIST, REACH, OR JERK
– Aload=animate or inanimate oject to be handled _> handling= moving, lowering, pushing or pulling
– Carry out a risk assessment, task-special training? Harmful to preganant? Joints?
Individual need-Age? Pain? Cognitively aware? Communication barrier?
Load-Bulk, size, shape, fragility-how long? How often? How heavy?
Environment-space? Steps? Lighting? Obstacles? Equipment?
– Back pain can be caused by twisting, bending, stooped posture or poor standing posture
– Before moving ask yourself: is it necessary? Where is it going? Will I need to change position? Remove obstructions. Stable base- Soften knees and hips, feet flat on floor. Hold object close to body with palms and tighten stomach. Head up, chin in. Bend knees. Don’t squat/stoop. Turn with feet not back or hips. Push don’t pull heavies.
– Try not to manually lift a caree as should encourage them to be as independent as possible.
– If a caree is falling try to guide them to the ground protecting their head. Don’t try to catch them or pick them up. Cover them with a blanket, call 999, reassure them and make them comfy
– Showers are generally safer than baths.