Home » Care » Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide

Here is my first in a series of blog posts about how to keep your loved one with dementia safe. You may find much of it is common sense, but I found this sort of information helpful when I first started caring for nan.

Carbon Monoxide:

Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous. Here is some information and handy hints about how to avoid carbon monoxide leaks and poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is produced by natural gas, running cars and burning wood as well as water heaters, furnaces and ovens. It is colourless and practically odourless.

If appliances are not working properly, carbon monoxide can build up in the air. Being exposed to a build-up of carbon monoxide in the air reduces oxygen in the blood. You may feel sleepy, have a headache, and be dizzy or short of breath. Ventilate the home by opening doors and windows. Turn everything off and leave the premises.

To avoid a build-up of carbon monoxide in the air:

– Make sure heating systems are professionally inspected every year.
– Make sure the chimney is well vented
– Do not heat the home with a clothes dryer or gas oven
– Do not leave cars running in the garage
– Use exhaust fans when cooking.

Further information on what to do if you suspect a gas leak can be found in follow up post.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s