Slips, Trips and Falls:
– Commonest injuries in the home. 60% of fatal falls happen at home. 20% of those who fear falling limit their daily activity (1 in 3 elderly people will fall each year).
– Use handrails
– Avoid fast movement, especially round corners and stairs
– Don’t kick obstacles out the way, pick them up and move them
– Wash floors properly and don’t leave pools of water
– Wear proper shoes
– Look out for sharp objects
– Don’t leave cords trailing
– Watch where you’re going
– Ice and snow can pose a risk so take extra care. Also with uneven steps or flooring.
– Don’t block your view with bulky objects when carrying
– Unsecure rugs and carpets?
– Carry sharp objects pointing down (and don’t run with them)
– Clear up spillages
– Make sure there is adequate lighting
– Never climb on furniture